Friday 27 March 2020

A Virtual Day Out for Day 5!

Good Morning All!

I woke up extra early today because I was so excited about what I was going to blog about! I actually discovered the idea yesterday afternoon and almost did a second blog about it yesterday because I was that excited!

Today I am going to share an idea with you that is definitely my favourite so far. As my class know, in fact probably the whole of year 6 do, I have a small obsession with rhinos so what better virtual day out than at a zoo! That is right Chester Zoo are doing a virtual day out at the zoo today live on their Facebook page!

I was lucky enough to visit Chester Zoo last year and it is by far one of my favourites having watched the TV show The Secret Life of a Zoo (if you haven't watched this it is also something for you to do while you are home learning - it is shown on channel 4). Here is what Chester have to say about their virtual day out:


As you can't come to the zoo right now, we’ll bring the zoo to you!

Join us LIVE on our Facebook page from 10am when we'll be throwing open our 'virtual gates.'

So, break up the boredom of being at home and, for the first time ever, enjoy a whole day of animal antics, live from your sofa! 🙌

We'll be featuring many of your favourites...

10:00 👉 Red pandas 🐼
11:00 👉 Rothschild's giraffes 🦒
12:00 👉 Asian elephants 🐘
13:00 👉 Butterflies 🦋
14:00 👉 Sun bears 🐻
14:30 👉 Sumatran tigers 🐅
14:45 👉 Humboldt penguins 🐧
16:00 👉 Aquarium* 🐠

Come and join the fun. The animals are waiting...

(*Running order may be subject to ever so slight changes... and there may be more surprises throughout the day!) 


I will definitely be joining them for a day out today. I am sure Mrs de Sausmarez will see this as important work for me to do or maybe I'll hope she doesn't read this!

If you are unable to have a virtual day out at the zoo today, there are many other zoos across the world that have live webcams set up so you can still enjoy the animals from the comfort of your own homes. Here are just a few: 


Also my personal favourite safari park, as it is where I first fell in love with rhinos, has three live webcams. Unfortunately, they are not on the rhinos but you can see the lions, tigers and cheetahs. I will put the links below:

Lion cam: https://www.aspinallfoundation.org/cubcam/ 
Tiger cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wgAIfW-si0
Cheetah cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDJp1IsZ1gc

Pictures of me feeding Rosie the rhino at Port Lympne - this was a paid for and supervised experience, when zoos are back open please don't walk up to a rhino and try to feed it!



Parents, if you would like an educational activity to go alongside these live videos then the children can use their area and perimeter knowledge from maths to design their own zoo complete with their own enclosures like the one below:


I really hope that you enjoy your virtual day out at the zoo! It will be like taking you all for a school trip without me telling any of you off!

Miss Parker



No comments: